The 5th wave I had been expecting did not materialize today (unless this wave truncated). Instead we got a bearish wave that tested yesterday's low but did not breach it. So one could argue that Wave 4 completed today or that the market is done at this point and it is just testing the lower trendline of the rising wedge. I mentioned 1523 as an important level to watch and so far the market has had problem overcoming resistance at 1524. At the same time, 1514 has held so we'll see if we get an answer on Monday. The structure would look "nicer" if the 5th wave appeared next week but at this point anything can happen, specially since there is the Budget Sequestration on March 1st. The failure to reach an agreement (which is likely at this point) would be a good excuse for a top of the wave. So let's see if the market tops FINALLY next week. I think people started picking tops on January 1st (Doug Kass was the first one I saw calling for a top then) and no one has been able to pin point it, so for now this is a guessing game.
I bought back my VXX hedge at $22.05, so an improvement over my stopped out position yesterday. I almost got it in the $21s but I figure I rather withstand a 5th wave than miss out on a sudden market turn now that we don't even know if the presumably last 5th wave is coming or not..
Have a Great Weekend!
Main S&P 500 Trends
Short Term Trend = BullishMedium Term Trend = Bullish
Long Term Trend = Bullish
Long Term Portfolio
- 60% Long in Red Chips traded in HSI (Mainland China stocks traded in Hong Kong) since September 2012. Only position trading 30-40% of portfolio for cost improvement. - Sold 10% on 12/27/12, Sold 10% 01/22/2013
Short Term Margin Trading Strategy
- Bought 2000 VXX @22.38 on 02/12/13 - Stopped out @22.38 on 02/14. Bought back @22.05 on 02/15/13
- Bought 800 VXX @23.70 and 1700 SPXU@ 31.68
- Bought 1000 VXX @ $25.78 as of 01/16/2013, Bought 1000 VXX @23.68 on 01/22/2013 - Sold @22.70 to position trade on 01/25/2013. Took loss $2.00
- Bought 1000 VXX @ $25.92 as of 01/15/2013 - Closed @25.96 on 01/15/2013 . = +0.04
- Bought 30 AAPL @ $509.50 as of 12/14/2012 on margin - Closed @514.50 on 12/17/2012. = +5.00
- Bought 1000 XIV @18.62 as of 12/13/2012 on margin - Closed @18.70 on 12/14/2012. = +0.08
- Bought 1000 XIV @18.80 as of 12/05/2012 on margin - Closed @18.88 on 12/07/2012. = +0.08
- Bought 1000 XIV @18.41 as of 12/04/2012 on margin - Closed @18.63 on 12/05/2012. = +0.22
- Bought 500 VXX @29.23 on 12/03/2012 - Closed @30.12 on 12/03/2012. = +0.89
- Bought 500 VXX @30.77 on 11/23/2012 - Closed @29..68 on 11/27/2012. = -1.09
- Bought 500 VXX @31.54 on 11/20/2012 - Stopped out @31.11 on 11/21/2012. = -0.43
- Closed position 500 @ 18.26 on 11/20/2012. Sold 500 @ 17.79, raised stop to break even on the other 500 as of 11/19/2012. Bought 1000 XIV @15.98 as of 11/15/2012 on margin - position trade cost improvement 4 cents, so net cost $15.94 as of 11/16/2012 - Profit = $2.05
- Bought 1000 XIV @16.88 as of 11/14/2012 on margin - Stopped out @ 16.66 on 11/14/2012. = -0.22
- Bought 1000 XIV @15.67 as of 11/08/2012 on margin - sold 1000 XIV @ 16.25 on 11/12/2012 = +0.58
- Margin positions in Gold initiated 11/06/2012.
Net Profit since 11/08/2012 on open and closed short term positions = $2,625*
* Margin position is usually $15-20k* Position in gold is $4k